Tuesday, November 19, 2013

the highway

Jai Jai Jai Jai Ganpathy Deva
Pure afternoon sun a blessing in this part of the world
Riding on the M8 out of Glasgow, Scotland.
Auric grasslands and towns
sight-seeking mountains, but there are just clouds,
scattered woods of small trees, violet hillocks, seagulls.

Eating dried Turkish apricots and listening
to an album of chants from Skanda Vale.
When Scott put it on my external drive, I thought:
I probably won't listen to that.
We left the ashram only a week ago.
I smile remembering the red-white stripe and spot on my forehead
ash and turmeric, they said. I sang a lot there, cross-legged
on the wooden floor, elevated by a couple
flat cushions. Sounding out new combinations of vowels.
Letting the mantras sway me. I do
miss it.

Landscape is changing now: stone castles perched on stone
outlooks. Sheep at pasture. Bird's nest chalices of twig in empty
beeches. Windmills. A clear November evening. No matter where I am
in the Western Hemisphere, this time of day and time of year--
I can feel it, smell it. It's the same in Port Townsend, Portland,
Portugal, Perth. Crackling leaves, wood smoke easing
out of chimneys, smell of dinner, cold hands
seeking pockets. Steps on the pavement. 
Street lights on, though the sky is
full of beautiful colors and
the moon is going to come out later.

Heading north to Aberdeen this fine evening,
peeling a grapefruit the exact same color as my corduroy trousers.
Kali Kapalini Durga Laxshmi Saraswati
I left my boots in Glasgow, for my friend's Swedish flatmate,
having bought a new pair at the Salvation Army
5 quid only. They may not be
as good with the rain. So far they seem
more comfortable. Cream suede with teal laces,
flat soles. Don't think I will get blisters. Traveling
moving through places—towns, villages, cities, pure
wildernesses. You see
all the lives that could be
Yours.

They are.
They are all
yours. And they will never be

yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment